Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010

books and dancing

I love Elizabeth Bennet. I'm re-reading Pride and Prejudice, for the hundredth time, with a group of friends who have never read it. We're on Chapter 18 of the first volume and I'm already telling them this is my favorite chapter. Of course, I'll likely tell them another is my favorite and have probably already told them that a previous was a favorite too.

But when Lizzy and Darcy dance together for the first time at the Netherfield ball, their conversation is fire and ice, electricity, fireworks...amazing. I could copy the whole conversation here but instead I'll just pull one of my favorite Lizzy one-liners. This one proves that sometimes she allows herself to just be a young girl, enjoying the company of handsome men.

"I cannot talk of books in a ball-room; my head is always full of something else."

No comments:

Post a Comment